Tuesday 15 April 2008

The End: Cape Town

Well my Mom has gone full circle. She started life eigthy-three years ago in Touws River some hundred or so kilometres outside Cape Town, spent the majority of her youth in Cape Town, and last weekend took her last trip to Cape Town where she was finally laid to rest.

My eigthy-eight year old Dad and I flew to Cape Town to bury my Mom's ashes in her family's grave. My Dad has been anxious for this to happen but, for a number of reasons, it took a couple of months to be realised.

I know he feels better about it now and I must say until writing this blog I was rather cold to the whole thing. It's just that my duties have managed to make feelings take second place. I can now see his urgency but I still believe when you are that age with very little to do you forget that life doesn't stand still for others.

Shirley asked me if I have closure now to which I replied that I don't believe in this closure thing. Closure comes when a person dies and you know they are dead. It's a realisation. Too much emphasis is put on all this psychiatric come psychological nonsense. Take a hold of your own feelings and deal with it. But enough. This is not about that but about Phyllis Emily Moss, nee Hoggan.

Rest in peace, Mom.

No comments: